Submitted by Kathleen Hutton on
On Wednesday, August 14 at 10:00 am, the City of Los Angeles will conduct a test of the Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) system.
The Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) system is a federally-operated emergency alert system made available to state and local governments for use during emergencies that threaten public safety. The system uses cell towers to send messages to all compatible, WEA-enabled smart phones within a geo-targeted area. The City of Los Angeles uses this system during emergencies like brush fires, evacuations, hazardous material incidents, active shooters, and more.
The test message sent on August 14th at 10:00 am will read "TEST: City of LA emergency alert system test. Info and survey at https://arcg.is/1OTXWv"
In the event of a real-world emergency or potential emergency conditions such as red flag fire weather, the test may be postponed.
Targeted Test Area
This test will focus on the Mandeville Canyon area. The test will geo-target only the Mandeville Canyon area. Localized targeting will help us understand how accurate the WEA system's geo-targeting capability is and how well the system can reach people in areas with limited cell service.
However, it is possible that the message will reach people outside of and beyond the Mandeville Canyon area. If you are not in Mandeville Canyon and receive the test message on August 14th, we want to hear from you. A survey will be made available on the day of the test for residents to submit feedback on the test and their location when they received or did not receive the alert.
Goals of the Test
- WEA messages rely on cell service to reach residents during emergencies. Many areas of Los Angeles, especially our mountain and canyon communities, have limited or no cell service. This test will help determine how effective WEA messages are in an area with challenging geography and limited cell service.
- Help residents become comfortable with receiving WEA messages.
- Help residents understand whether their residence can be reached through WEA alerts, or if they should rely on other options, such as opt-in alerts from NotifyLA.
WEA Test Feedback
On the day of the test, a brief survey will be made available on this page. The survey will ask for your location and whether you did or did not receive the alert. EMD asks the following groups to complete the survey:
- Mandeville Canyon residents who do receive the test WEA alert
- Mandeville Canyon residents who do not receive the test WEA alert
- Los Angeles area residents outside of Mandeville Canyon who do receive the alert
Receiving Alerts During Emergencies
WEA messages are just one way to receive information during an emergency. We encourage everyone who lives, works, goes to school, and spends time in the City of Los Angeles to register for NotifyLA. NotifyLA is an opt-in system on the Everbridge platform. When you register for alerts through NotifyLA, the City of Los Angeles can share emergency information relevant to your home, workplace, and schools using multiple methods including text messages, email, app notificaitons, phone calls, and more.
Register today! It could save your life. Click here to create or manage your account.